Friday, June 10, 2011

PINK SATURDAY ~ No Matter What The Weather May Be !

Hello Pink Saturday Bloggy Friends! And, how was your week? Just fine, I hope! It has a been a great one here, but the weather is strange, to say the least!!! Yesterday it was in the high 90's and it was HOT~ HOT~ HOT with lots of humidity and then today is so chilly it is back in jeans and a long sleeved shirt. The air conditioner went to off and the windows stayed closed! lol! When I came home from mailing boxes, this afternoon the car said it was 53 degrees!

One thing about this unusual weather is the flowers and lawns thrive in it! My gorgeous Eden rose is covered and I mean covered in buds! And, long ago, say seven years ago, I planted a Columbine in dainty pink. It just did not do well and I thought it had died....not so! It was waiting for a winter with more than twice the normal amount of snow and a spring full of rain to show off! As you can imagine, I was more than delighted. I walk out to just look at them. It is like a lovely gift! I wish the pictures did it justice. (* To see them up close, just click on each picture *)Aren't they graceful and sweet?




And, aren't these Pinks, below, pretty? They are not perennials, but they think they are as they nestle among my Arizona rocks. They come back every Spring! They are like an old friend!

And some Carnations that smell so spicy and good!

The Peonies are a different story this year....I have many big healthy bushes of them and a total of two blooms! I have been flabbergasted as I adore Peonies and could hardly wait for them to burst out in all their gorgeousness. One is out....

And I have this one to look forward to and then that is it! lol! :((((

Hubby knows of my distress over this and he, who always reads the Shopper, saw that there was an article by Martha Stewart on Peonies, and he sweetly brought it to me. It seems my problem is probably caused by a lack of Potassium. Next trip to my favorite nursery I will remedy that problem! In the article MS writes that with TLC you can sometimes coax them to bloom TWICE! Wouldn't that be heavenly?

This is all of my PINKS for this week! Now I am off to be inspired by all of yours!
Bye :-)
Jil
Be sure to visit our Miss Beverly for this Saturday's list of wonderful blogs celebrating PINK.....

28 comments:

LV said...

I do not understand how some plants and flowers thrive on heat. Most of mine would die if I did not water often.

The French Hutch said...

We are already in the middle of a heat wave and I've already lost plants and its only early June. I water but the wind and high temps are taking their toll. Your photos are lovly. Happy Pink Saturday.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Arabella said...

The weather has certainly been strange just about everywhere - your peonies and other flowers are so gorgeous! Glad you had a good week.

Happy Pink Saturday to you :O)

Hugs,
Marie

Char said...

Jil, I think the rest of the country is having our summer. We are in the high 90's and that's just not right. I am not complaining at all.
I am sorry about the peonies, what a shame but maybe you will get more blooms with food!!
Happy Pink Saturday, Char
I am not joining in this week, I needed a break.

Shabbyprimdelights said...

Your colombines are so pretty and I am excited to say I have finally bought myself an Eden rose...now if I could only fast forward the bush to a couple of years so that I can be enjoying those gorgeous cabbage blooms now.
HPS
Michelle

Cindy Adkins said...

Happy Pink Saturday!! What beautiful flowers! I'm in New Orleans and it's so hot here too!!
XO
Cindy

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Our weather is strange too. It was hot yesterday and today it is cold. Most of our Spring has been cold. Our warm weather seasons are so short here that it is upsetting when we get all this cool weather. Right now it is only 8 degrees celsius which is only 46 degrees fahrenheit. Anyway, your peonies are gorgeous! I hope you get more. Thanks for your visit and Happy Pink weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

orchid0324 said...

Oh, you are experiencing unusual weather in your country. We are in rainy season now here in Japan.
Your flowers sure are gorgeous♡♡♡

Take Care under the strange weather,
Love, xoxo Orchid.

Jenny said...

What beautiful flowers! Thank you for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, hot here in Jersey, too. Nice to meet you, Jil - so glad you stopped to visit me at The Writer's Reverie. Hope you'll come back soon! I absolutely love the look of your site. Joyful and playful all at the same time. Delightful! Will be featuring my wildflower garden in next week's posts. If what's coming up doesn't frizzle out and melt. Joy to you!
Kathryn Ross

genie said...

It has been so hot here on the Eastern Shore of MD, I think I am melting away. Scorching compared to the mountain of Virginia. Your flowers seem to be different from me in that they appear to be thriving in the heat. Not so here. I wonder if we are going to have this all summer long...not good! HPS - genie

KatyDidStitches said...

Jil, I had the same problem with my peonies this year. I have three bushes...in three different locations...and they all disappointed in the bloomage department. I'll have to read Martha's article.

I'm happy that your pink Columbine picked up the slack!

Kathy

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill,
Your garden is so pretty. You certainly have a green thumb. Such pretty blooms. We are in an early heat wave here and I am watering like crazy so I do not lose my flowers. The water meter is turning circles like mad. Well, one way or another I will spend the money on water or new plants.
I'd rather water. LOL
Your blog is lovely and such a inspiring place to visit.
Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for stopping by the wedding party and your kind comment. So special to see you.
Hugs from Texas, Celestina Marie

JJ said...

Thanks for visiting as I have now seen your lovely peonies. Love 'em!
JJ

The Artful Diva said...

Love your pink flowers - my personal favorite - the peony!

Robin said...

Love all your flowers and love you blog design. I have columbine growing in the woods at the edge of our property. And fear not your peonies, they are a hardy lot....and such a beautiful addition to any garden.
Wishing you a pinkishly beautiful Saturday.

Pom Pom said...

I am waiting for my peonies to pop! We've tied them up over and over again. We have cool weather today, too. You've reminded me to go out and look at the peonies. Happy Pink!

Nancy said...

Jil, we have lots and lots of flowers, but it is SO cold here. I'm waiting for summer and/or California weather.

Love the peony.

Happy Pink Saturday!

Glennis said...

I love your pinks - I mean pink flowers and well as the actual pinks in your post!!

Funny what brings out the best in our plants. I hope you get a break from the heat. We have the other problem here in So.Cal - June gloom!

Nicole Blean said...

I LOVE your cute blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jil, You know, my Mom and I were just talking about how plants and bushes this year have just exploded with new growth. Have never seen anything like it. My butterfly bushes have gone crazy. Usually I plant zinnias next to the butterfly bush every spring but this year there is no room for them. Not sure what the problem may be with your peonies. When we first moved to this house there were some peony bushes planted deep in the natural area that never ever bloomed. I finally moved them one year to the edge of the yard and they bloom profusely now. Plants can be strange sometimes. Love the spicy smell of carnations and your sweet columbines are so pretty. HPP...xo

dana said...

Your pinks are lovely....how I wish I had some of them in my yard! Thanks for sharing such beauty on Pink Saturday! dana

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Beautiful flowers! We're sweating here in GA too! Keep cool this week!

Tina said...

pretty flowers

DOLLIEGIRL said...

JIL WERE HAVING THE PERFECT WEATHER UP HERE IN WA STATE .NOT TO HOT AND NOT TO COLD
LOVE YOUR PINK FLOWERS . MINE ARE FINALLY BLOOMING TOO.THEY ARE LATE THIS YEAR WITH NOT ENOUGH SUN
XOXO LINDA

Anonymous said...

Thanκfulness to my father who stаted to me гegarding thiѕ wеblοg, this website is rеally
amazіng.

Hеre is my web-ѕite; reputation management

Anonymous said...

You actually maκe it ѕеem so eаsy with уour ргеѕentation but I fіnԁ this matter to bе
аctually ѕomething that I think I would
nеveг unԁеrstand. Ӏt seems too complіcated аnd extremely
broad for me. I am lоoking forward for уour next ρoѕt, Ӏ will try to get the hаng of it!



Feel free to visit my web-sitе link building service

Anonymous said...

Finе way of explaining, and good piеce of writing
to take information about mу preѕentatіon topic, ωhich i am going
tο present in school.

mу ѕite ... Lloyd Irvin